6.03.2011

Teen Summer Reading Club Week #1

This coming Monday, June 6 is the start date for my library’s teen summer reading club at the library! Abby the Librarian is putting together a week-by-week overview of how her reading club is going at the library, including various programs she’s done. So, kind of playing off this, I’m going to do a week-by-week overview but focus on the upcoming week’s teen summer reading programs to get myself mentally prepared. J

Two things that I am really excited about for this year’s program are:

* The summer reading club theme -- Read Like a Rock Star! (This allowed me to have one of the halfway completion prizes be an inflatable guitar, which the teens I’ve talked to are really excited about!)
* The summer reading club format -- Rather than having to read a specific number of books or pages, teens are reading based on hours. I think this is a great way to not only encourage a wide range of reading (such as books, online information, newspapers, ect.) but to place all teens on a level playing field when it comes to completing the program.
When I was planning my programs for this summer, I knew I wanted to do some sort of kick off for the summer reading club. I received great inspiration from one of the local high schools who, a few months ago, showed back-to-back book trailers as a way to promote books. There event was a big hit! So, why reinvent the wheel right? I thought this would be a great way to kick off this year’s reading club and give teens some ideas for books to read to complete the program. Since I work at both of our district’s branches, I will be doing this program once on Thursday, June 9 and once on Friday, June 10.

With that being said, here’s to my third year of teen summer reading madness!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! This sounds like a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to my first one of these last Saturday and it was so much fun. Granted I'm not a teenager anymore, but I love that they have these programs available. There wasn't anything like this when I was younger. I hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the theme read like a rock star, sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete

I *love* hearing what you, fellow bloggers, have to say, think, and feel! Therefore, comment away and thank you for stopping by my blog! :-)