5.26.2011

...Ramblings from a Librarian...(#11)

A few weeks ago an older female patron came into the library asking if I could recommend any fiction books that would “teach her something”. When adult patrons ask me for book recommendations, sometimes I feel bad because they don’t get such a personal recommendation as when I recommend books to teens for the simple fact that I don’t read a whole lot of adult fiction.

When this patron asked for a book recommendation, my first thought was to recommend a book by Jodi Picoult because not only is she one of my favorite adult fiction authors, but I feel like I’ve learned something from each book I’ve read of hers. Yet, I was kind of taken aback because from the books she’s told me she has read and enjoyed, I thought a Jodi Picoult book might be a little too edgy for her. Nonetheless, I ended up recommending Picoult’s book My Sister’s Keeper. I briefly explained the plot to her and the patron said she would give it a try.

So, yesterday this same patron came back into the library, approached the reference desk, and began telling me just how much she enjoyed the book. I was thrilled! While we were talking, she made the following two comments which kind of threw me off a bit:

1. “I really liked this book, but I’m surprised someone as young as you could enjoy a book like this.”

My response: “Yeah, I really did enjoy it and most of the other ones she has written.”

My internal response: “Lady, are you crazy? You think I’m too young to enjoy this type of book? What books do you assume I read then? Wow-za!”

2. “I was so pleased with you recommending this book that I told the head librarian [I still don’t know who this “head” person is] that I appreciated you, I didn’t remember your name, recommending it to me. I told her the youngest librarian recommended it to me.”

My response: “Well thank you! I’m really glad you enjoyed it so much [insert smile here].”

My internal response: “Ahhh yes, the “youngest” librarian. Hahaha!”

Every day I am always surprised what patron’s say to me, whether it’s something positive or negative. Overall though, I am really glad I was able to give this patron a good book recommendation, especially since it was kind of out of my usual “teen” element.

4 comments:

  1. What a nice post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that she came back to tell you she enjoyed it. Although her comment about you being young for the book was surprising--we have a copy of My Sister's Keeper catalogued in the YA section. Not in my branch, I don't think, but somewhere in the system.

    Here's an aside--Jodi Picoult books are NEVER on the shelves in our branch. No matter how old the books are, someone is ALWAYS reading them. I know we, as a system, buy more copies of James Patterson books than Jodi's, but. After everyone who's been on hold for the latest James Patterson book has read it, they sit on the shelf. I don't find that to be true with jodi's stuff. Anyway, just my rambling for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christi ~ My library also has a few copies of My Sister's Keeper in the teen section. I don't know if this patron possibly meant she was surprised I would be interested in the topic of My Sister's Keeper or what. It just kind of surprised me. Our Picoult books are never on the shelves either, so you made a good point about Picoult vs. Patterson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also have Jodi Picoult books in the YA section. It's a strange comment she made. At least she was nice. I love it when people come back and are happy with the book I recommended.

    My patrons are always thinking I'm much younger than I am. A few even thought I was in high school! I figure I'll appreciate that in years to come as long as they keep assuming I'm ten years younger than I actually am :P

    ReplyDelete

I *love* hearing what you, fellow bloggers, have to say, think, and feel! Therefore, comment away and thank you for stopping by my blog! :-)